HOWTO: Download and Install Software from the internet using your desktop computer
For help with errors while downloading, see this article.
To download and install any of our software (either a 30-day trial version, or a commercial copy from our Online Store), just do the following:
- Click on the download link. If you're looking at a trials page, do not pick links that say .cab or OTA; use one of the other ones.
- You may be asked if you want to save the file or run it from its current location. If you are asked this question, select "Save." If not, don't worry -- your browser may automatically pick "Save" for you.
- You will then be asked to select the folder where you want to save the program or file. Note the folder you choose before clicking the "Save" button.
- The download will now start. You'll see a progress bar that fills up as you download. You will also be reminded where you're saving the file. The file will be saved as in your My Documents folder in the picture below.
Note: You may also see a box labeled "Close this dialog box when download completes." If you see this check box, it helps to uncheck this box. You don't have to, but if you do, it will be easier to find the file after you download it.
- Depending on which file you're downloading and how fast your connection is, it may take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to download. When your download is finished, if you left the "Close this dialog box when download completes" option unchecked, you'll see a window like this one:
- Now Pick Open to run the file you just downloaded. If you don't see the "Download complete" window, open the folder where you saved the file in step 3 and double-click on the icon for the file there.
- When you run the file, you'll be stepped through the program installation.